Friday, January 4, 2008

Hikaru No Go Volume 1: Descent of the Go Master


Hikaru No Go (2004) by Yumi Hotta

Description: Hikaru Shindo is like any sixth-grader in Japan: a pretty normal school boy with a two-tone head of hair and a penchant for antics. One day, he finds an old bloodstained Go board in his grandfather's attic- and that's when things get really interesting. Trapped inside the Go board is Fujiwara-no-Sai the ghost of an ancient Go master who taught the strategically complex board game to the Emperor of Japan many centuries ago. In one fateful moment, Sai becomes a part of Hikaru's consciousness and together, through thick and thin, they make an unstoppable Go-playing team. Will they e able to defeat Go players who have dedicated their lives to the game? Will Sai achieve the"Divine Move" so he'll finally be able to rest in peace? Begin our journey with Hikaru and Sai in this first volume of Hikaru no Go.

Review: I never thought a manga about Go would be that interesting, but Yumi Hotta really makes it fun. This was a great introduction to Hikaru and the whole universe of Go. I didn't realize how popular it was in Japan. My husband plays Go so I am familiar with the game (he was obsessed for a while - he even make a computer game). The characters are great and I instantly fell in love with them. Also, Hotta's humor is just great. I love the little "behind the scenes" included. They really make me laugh. Another great thing about this series is all of the good information about the game itself. I have really learned a lot. I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

Score: 4 out of 5

No comments: