Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Stardust

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (1999)


Description: In the sleepy English countryside, at the dawn of the Victorian Era, life moves at a leisurely pace in the tiny town of Wall, so named for an imposing stone barrier that divides the village from an adjacent meadow. Armed sentries guard the sole gap in this wall, in order to keep the curious from wandering through. Only once every nine years to they relax their vigil, when a market fair unlike any other comes to the meadow.

Here in Wall, young Tristran Thorn has lost his heart to beautiful Victoria Forester. But Victoria is cold and distant-as distant, in fact, as the star she and Tristran see fall from the sky on a crisp October evening. For the coveted prize of Victoria's hand, Tristran vows to retrieve the fallen star and deliver it to his beloved. It is an oath that sends the lovelorn swain over the ancient wall, and propels him into a world that is strange beyond imagining.

But Tristran is not the only one seeking the heavenly jewel. There are those for whom it promises youth and beauty, the key to a kingdom , and the rejuvenation of dark, dormant magics. And a lad compelled by love will have to keep his wits about him to succeed and survive in this secret place where fallen stars come in many guises-and where quests have a way of branching off in unexpected direction, even turning back upon themselves in space and in time.

Review: This was my first time reading a book by Gaiman. I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It took me no time at all to finish this book. The words just flowed and I couldn't stop turning the pages. I really enjoyed the world that Gaiman created. It was a great fantasy from beginning to end. The characters were wonderful. The only thing I do have to complain about is that some relationships were not as developed as I thought they could be. But all in all, a fantastic read.

Score: 4.5 out of 5

Movie Connections: In August, the movie version of the book will be coming to a movie theater near you. I personally can't wait to see it. From the pictures that I've seen it looks absolutely beautiful. The only thing that I've noticed from the trailers is that much has been added, but that is to be expected. I will have to wait to make a full analysis of the movie until it comes out.

Stardust (2007)

No comments: