Monday, May 28, 2007

Ghost World


Ghost World by Daniel Clowes


Description: (From Amazon.com) Dan Clowes described the story in Ghost World as the examination of "the lives of two recent high school graduates from the advantaged perch of a constant and (mostly) undetectable eavesdropper, with the shaky detachment of a scientist who has grown fond of the prize microbes in his petri dish." From this perch comes a revelation about adolescence that is both subtle and coolly beautiful. Critics have pointed out Clowes's cynicism and vicious social commentary, but if you concentrate on those aspects, you'll miss the exquisite whole that Clowes has captured. Each chapter ends with melancholia that builds towards the amazing, detached, ghostlike ending.

Review: I have mixed feelings about this book. I thought it was interesting, but wished it went into more detail at the end. It seemed to end abruptly. I did find it amusing and could relate a bit to the story. Overall its a fun, quirky story about teens. I'd recommend checking it out.

Score: 3.5 out of 5

Movie Connection: There is a movie adaptation that came out in 2001. I didn't catch it in the theater, but I was always interested in it. Not too long ago it was on TV but I was not able to finish watching it, so I put it on my Netflix list. I did see it and I really liked it. So I got the book. I am not sure which one I like more. Usually I like the book better, but I'm not sure in this case. They sort of melded characters together for the movie (which they often do). I think you should definitely check the movie out.

Ghost World (2001)

No comments: