Friday, September 19, 2008

The Mistress Diaries (Pembroke Palace, Book 2)

The Mistress Diaries by Julianne MacLean (2008)

Pages: 370

ISBN: 0061456845

Description: The night I met Lord Vincent Sinclair, son of the Duke of Pembroke, was the night I lost control. I never imagined that I, Cassandra Montrose, could engage in such wicked, wanton behavior with a man I hardly knew. But in that fateful moment, alone in his coach, the passion I felt for him was undeniable, even though I knew that after my surrender I was unlikely to ever see my lover again.

Until a fateful secret brought me to his door...

I always believed my pride would prevent me from becoming any man's mistress - especially a rogue like Vincent, who cares for nothing but his inheritance. Yet I have very good reason to remain in his life. If only he did not tempt me so...

Review: This book starts of with a bang (quite literally). Vincent and Cassandra are instantly besotted with each other. For Vincent this is just one night, but something happens that connects him with Cassandra forever. A year later, Cassandra brings their daughter to his home for him to care for as she thinks that she is going to die. Vincent reluctantly agrees to care for their child, but then when she discovers that she is not as ill as she though, she tries to leave with their daughter. Vincent has other things in mind. Eventually, they become friends and then lovers once more. The book is average. The story was somewhat bland and the characters were even worse. Often I was left wondering why Vincent and Cassandra were even drawn together. The side characters were worse. There were too many gaps in the story. I realize belatedly that this is part of a series, but even so there is too much missing. It wasn't a bad book, but one that I would definitely say to check out at your local library.

Score: 2.5 out of 5

No comments: