Thursday, November 8, 2007

Hellsing, Volume 1

Hellsing Volume 1 by Kohta Hirano (2003)


Description: There's a secret organization somewhere in England created to defend the Queen and country from monsters of all sorts. Enter Hellsing, an agency, long in tooth, with the experience, know-how, and...er...equipment to handle the problems that arise when vampires, ghouls, and the like clamber from the darkness. "What equipment?" you may say. How about another vampire, souped up by generations of study and refinement, armed with a big pistol loaded with special silver bullets? That oughta do the trick. But what really knocks 'em dead is the sharp wit, awesome artwork, and crazy, bloody action that make up the manga. Hellsing, the long-awaited gothic graphic that spawned the popular anime is finally in America, thanks to Dark Horse comics and the folks at Digital Manga, and you're gonna love it. The night is dark, but at least those creepy anti-heroes from Hellsing can make light of it.

Review: In Hellsing, we follow the story of the Hellsing organization and their battle with the Vatican. I found the concepts to be really interesting with this manga. I had fun reading it and couldn't wait for more. I enjoyed the author comments at the end of the story as well. The artwork was stylistically cool. This was a unique story and the pages just flew by. I can't wait to read the entire series.

Score: 4 out of 5

Movie Connection: Kohta Hirano's popular manga series was brought to the "little" screen in 2001. I don't believe that I have seen this anime, but will definitely put it on my list of things to watch. I really enjoyed the story, so I can't wait to see what Hirano did for the series.

No comments: