Thursday, June 21, 2007

Bridget Jones's Diary


Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding


Description: (From Books in Print)
Meet Bridget Jones-a 30-something Singleton who is certain she would have all the answers if she could: a. lose 7 pounds b. stop smoking c. develop Inner Poise "129 lbs. (how is it possible to put on 4 pounds in the middle of the night? Could flesh have somehow solidified becoming denser and heavier? Repulsive, horrifying notion), alcohol units 4 (excellent), cigarettes 21 (poor but will give up totally tomorrow), number of correct lottery numbers 2 (better, but nevertheless useless)..." Bridget Jones's Diary is the devastatingly self-aware, laugh-out-loud daily chronicle of Bridget's permanent, doomed quest for self-improvement-a year in which she resolves to: reduce the circumference of each thigh by 1.5 inches, visit the gym three times a week not just to buy a sandwich, form a functional relationship with a responsible adult-and learn to program the VCR. Over the course of the year, Bridget loses a total of 72 pounds but gains a total of 74. She remains, however, optimistic. Through it all, Bridget will have you helpless with laughter, and-like millions of readers the world round-you'll find yourself shouting, "Bridget Jones is me!"

Review: After hearing so many good things about this book, I had to check it out for myself. I guess I am still feeling a little divided as to how I really felt about his book. I mean, I found it enjoyable; however, I feel it was hyped up a bit too much. The story is basically Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen modernized. Yes, there were parts of the book that made me laugh out loud, but all in all I think it was just okay.

Score: 3.5 out of 5

Movie Connection: Sharon Maguire brought this book to the big screen in 2001. I thought the movie was really cute and definityly worth a look at. A funny little tidbit is that in the book, there is some comparison of the character Mark Darcy to Mr. Darcy (from Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice). This movie stars Colin Firth as Mark Darcy and he also played Mr. Darcy in the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice.


Bridget Jones's Diary (2001)

No comments: