Friday, April 27, 2007

Outlander


Outlander by Diana Gabaldon


Description:  (From Back of Book) The Year is 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon - when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles.  Suddenly she is a Sassenach - an "outlander" - in a Scotland torn by war and raiding Highland clan in the year of Our Lord... 1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into intrigues and dangers that may threaten her life... and shatter her heart.  For here she meets James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, and becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire... and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

Review:  Wow.  This was one mega novel at 627 pages (QP version).  I seriously read it in about two days.  I could not put it down.  Gabaldon wrote one hell of a book.  I never thought that I would ever have read this book (or any of the series for that matter) due in large part to my dealings with it at Borders.  This is a downfall about being a boosk seller.  Sometimes you get turned off about a book due to the number you have to display and sticker or the fact that the people who read it (or ask for it) are sort of, well, off.  The reason I gave this book a chance is due to its author.  I had the opportunity to actually meet Diana Gabaldon last week during our National Library Week celebration.  After hearing her speak, I just had to get a copy of the book.  She is such an interesting person and a very engaging speaker.  So finally I have read the book and crave more!  I have to know how this story goes.  I am anxiously waiting for the second book, Dragonfly in Amber, to arrive at the library so I can continue on the story.  I highly reccomend this book.

Score:  5 out of 5

No comments: