Friday, March 16, 2007

Dracula, Prince of Mancy Faces



Dracula, Prince of Many Faces


Description: (From Amazon) The fictional Dracula of Bram Stoker's novel is better known than the actual Vlad Dracula the Impaler, who ruled as prince of Wallachia for three brief periods in the mid-15th century. This study by two Boston College professors who have written other books about Dracula explores how the legend of the Transylvanian vampire arose. As a ruler, Dracula spread terror far and wide, inflicting appalling tortures on his victims, killing them by impalement, by boiling or skinning them alive. Yet when the time came to defend Europe against Turkish invaders, he led the battle, and the authors view him as "the first modern Renaissance prince of the land." Florescu and McNally offer so much detail about the battles of kings, princes, princelings and claimants to thrones that the book will appeal only to the most ardent Dracula fanatics.

Review: After reading The Historian for my book club, I wanted to get some "real" history on Dracula. I remembered this book from my Borders days and decided to check it out. I'm glad that I did as it turned out to be very interesting. There is a lot of medieval history and a lot of side stories that are intertwined into the story of Dracula. I thought the authors did a good job of showing the real Dracula. I found him to be a very interesting person in history. I really recommend this book to anyone who wants to study the real Dracula.

Score: 4 out of 5

No comments: