Friday, February 23, 2007

Blood and Chocolate

Blood and Chocolate


Description: (From back of book) Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?

Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a meat-boy. Aiden is kind an gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by magic, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.

Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really - human or beast? Which tastes sweeter -- blood or chocolate?

Review: This was a really good read. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. In fact, I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting. Granted, it is written for the teen/tweens, but it was still a fairly good portrayal of a "real" teen. At first, I was sort of put off by all the sex talk, but then when I thought about it, that's what we all think about at that age. I thought the story was really interesting and it was really believable. Some people may not like the ending, but I really did. For the first time in a while, I have found a book that I have enjoyed from start to finish and even liked the end. This book is a must read for those who enjoy young adult books or those who like a good werewolf story.

Score: 5 out of 5

Movie Connection: Recently, a movie version of the book was released. I actually saw the movie first and then decided I wanted to pick up the book to see the actual story. Now, I did enjoy the movie on its own. As an adaptation of this book, it was bad. The only thing that was the same were the character names. Even the ending was changed to give us the good old "love conquers all" craptastic theme. Blah. I definitely like the book story over the movie and I think the adaptation was poor at best.

No comments: